Today s front page news .. a proposal to open ‘Grog camps ” or to put it nicely ‘ designated drinking areas for homeless people “.
The NT news quoted Larrakia Nation head Ilana Eldridge as saying “there are examples in other countries where people who want to drink them selves to death can do it without impacting on others”.
Really ? Id like to know which countries …..
They are proposing an area with kitchen and bathroom facilities as well as a locked fence “to keep people out so the people inside are safe” and “reduce the death toll on the roads”.
To me this says that adults with drinking problems now no longer have to take responsibility for their actions because we will put a fence around them and leave them to it. There are so many things wrong with this I have no idea where to start. Well firstly the amount of deaths last month in town camps , especially Alice Springs is disgusting. And they were all due to fights caused by excessive drinking.
Secondly who is going to pay for this ? Yup , me and the rest of the taxpayers in Australia – I don’t mind helping homeless people but encouraging them to kill themselves with drink .. Hmmm doesn’t feel right to me.
And finally (although I could rant about this all day) how will this be a solution to the family dysfunction , alcoholism and unemployment which is sky high already in the Territory ? It s like some one said “fuck this , its all too hard ” and literally put these people in the too hard basket … or fence 😉
I really hope for the sake of these people and the NT that they scrap this proposal.
Picture from today’s NT news paper http://www.ntnews.com.au
So the Us Marines are landing in Darwin tonight ( the single girls of Darwin are very excited !) – and to help them fit in the NT news has kindly provided a guide for them to understand the folks in the Territory. I must admit I am a self confessed bogan but I have never used or heard half of these phrases so its going to be really funny to hear a bunch of American blokes using the lingo 😉 But the again Ill just tell them its their shout – one phrase I have used off the list below –
MARINE GUIDE – Some key Territory phrases explained
- “That’s gammon, eh bruss.” I doubt the veracity of this.
- “Yeah man, Ice Cube, wicked beats eh, true dat.” I enjoy American classical music.
- “It’s your shout.” I believe we are in need of your financial assistance at the bar.
- “Weez going for some barra in the tinny down Shady, you and your bros wanna come?” Would you enjoy a day of driving and getting sunburnt?
- “Do ya wanna come down to the pub for a few sodas?” Would you like to accompany me to a bar and consume beverages until we pass out?
- “Wanna root?” (You will find out, but it doesn’t involve cheering for your favourite sporting team)
- “Fannie…” (Be careful with this word in front of the ladies. Telling them they have a nice one may see your eye taken out. After time you may laugh at the prospect of driving down Dick Ward Drive into Fannie Bay.)
- “Dogging.” (Out of respect take a plastic bag with you if walking your dog but for concern for your own health, take a condom as well.)
“Fully sick.” Quite good
List courtesy of ntnews.com.au
* For those who have no idea why you would need to take a condom to walk your dog , the latest craze to hit the NT is “Dogging ” which according to the NT news involves people taking their dogs for a walk as an excuse to have sex in public. This craze was started in the UK and judging by the amount of websites I found on google dedicated to this “sport ” it is quickly spreading around the world – so maybe this will be the one phrase these boys may be familiar with as this is obviously not just a territory thing ! 😉